Town of Bennington Transfer Station Garbage Disposal and Recycling Information
The transfer station is for Bennington residents. A sticker is needed for entry which you can obtain at no cost from the Collections desk at the Town Offices at 205 South Street. You will need to provide your address to prove you are a resident.
Garbage disposal for the items listed below is available at the Transfer Station located at 904 Houghton Lane, Bennington, VT 05201. PHONE: 1-802-447-8737
Open to local residents. The transfer station is operated by Casella Waste Management.
Mon – Fri: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sat: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
ADDRESS: 904 Houghton Lane, Bennington, VT 05201.
Items accepted at this location:
- Bulky Items (such as furniture, appliances, mattresses, carpet, and tires)
- Electronic Waste (such as TVs, monitors, computers, printers, stereos)
- Recycling (such as cardboard, paper, plastics, metal cans, and glass)
- Trash (such as household waste)
- Universal Waste (such as batteries, ballasts, and light bulbs)
- Yard Waste (such as brush, leaves, and lawn clippings)
- Food Scraps (such as fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, oils, coffee, and prepared foods)
Items NOT accepted at this location:
- Hazardous Waste (such as chemicals, paint, and cleaning fluids)
Recycling & Hazardous Waste Information:
Bennington is part of the Bennington County Solid Waste Alliance (BCSWA). Information about recycling, hazardous waste, composting, and more can all be found at https://www.bcswavt.org. There is an annual “Hazardous Materials Day” where citizens and small businesses can recycle hazardous waste at no cost. Follow that same link to BCSWA to find out when the date is.
Bennington Transfer Station Pricing
- 15 Gallon Kitchen Bag – $3.00
- 30 Gallon Bag – $4.00
- 39 Gallon Bag – $5.00
- 55 Gallon Barrel – $7.75
Solid Waste (MSW) and Construction & Demolition Debris – $138/ton
Commercial Hauler Brush and Yard Waste – $117
Minimum Scale Weight $15
- Bulky Furniture & Mattress / Box Springs – $16.80
- Waste Oil Per Quart – .10¢
- Appliances Non-Freon Containing – $7.50
- Appliances Freon Containing – $10.75
- Water Heaters up to 100 Gal – $10.75
- Sleeper Sofa – $50.40
- Food Scraps / Compost – $1/gallon
- Loose Scrap Metal – No Charge
Electronic Waste as specified in Vermont Act 79; Computers, Monitors, Printers, Computer Peripherals, and Televisions from Covered Entities which are: Consumers, charities, school districts, and small businesses that have ten or less individuals, may drop off up to 7 items per day.
Other banned electronics as specified in Act 79 or items from Non covered entities: personal electronics, telephones, answering machines, VCR players, DVD players, digital converter boxes, stereo equipment, power cords, and electronic game consoles – 58¢ per pound, minimum $5 charge.
Fluorescent Light Bulbs – 10 per day no charge
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs – no charge
Composting Rules and Requirements
VT Food Scrap Ban Guidance
Vermont Composting FAQ for Landlords