In summary, ALL of the criteria set forth below must be met.
Conditions for obtaining a variance:
- The hardship must be created by the unique physical circumstances or conditions peculiar to the particular property.
- Because of these circumstances or conditions, there is no possibility that the property can be developed in strict conformity with the municipal zoning regulations.
- The hardship has not been created by the applicant.
- The variance requested will not alter the essential character of the neighborhood.
- The variance requested is the minimum variance necessary to afford relief.
All applications for a variance must include a written memorandum detailing evidence supporting a positive finding by the Development Review Board on all conditions set forth above.
For full details please view Section 10.6 VARIANCES – of the Bennington Land Use and Development Regulations.
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS OFFERED AS A GENERAL GUIDE TO LAND USE PERMITTING IN BENNINGTON. PLEASE CALL THE BENNINGTON PERMITTING DEPARTMENT AT 802-442-1037 REGARDING SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND ISSUES REGARDING BENNINGTON LAND USE PERMITS.
ALL APPLICANTS FOR A PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL PROJECTS SHOULD CONTACT THE TOWN’S PLANNING DIRECTOR AND BUILDING INSPECTOR FOR AN INFORMAL REVIEW OF THE PROJECT BEFORE ANY PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED TO THE TOWN.