Renovation of Single Family Residence (Owner Occupied)
No Expansion of Building Footprint
- Download from website or pick-up from the Bennington Town Office the Application for Building and Zoning Permit – Single Family/Owner Occupied Residences.
- Fill-out and Sign the Permit Application. The owner of the property must sign the application or it will not be processed.
- If walls will be added or removed, prepare floor plan of the interior of the house showing the location and size of all modified rooms on all floors of the house.
- Determine amount of fees due – see Permit Fee Schedule. The permit fees must be paid in two separate checks: i) a check made out to the Town of Bennington for the Building and Zoning Permit fees; and ii) a check made out to the Bennington Town Clerk for the filing fee.
- Submit the completed permit application along with the permit fees, and floor plan (if necessary) to the Town of Bennington Permitting Department. The permit is normally processed in a week to ten days.
- A Building/Zoning Permit will be sent to the applicant by U.S. Mail, including a Permit Review Letter and yellow building permit card.
- Read the Permit Review Letter carefully and ensure that you or your contractor complies with all of the requirements contained in the letter.
- Post the yellow building permit card in a location visible from the street for the duration of the project.
- Contact the Permitting Department when the project is complete to schedule a final inspection of the project. (If the project is not completed within a year, the applicant must request a permit extension).
- The Building Inspector will inspect the project and issue a Certificate of Occupancy if the project has been completed in compliance with all applicable codes, or issue a report identifying the items that must be corrected/completed.
- If a Certificate of Occupancy is granted, retain a copy for your records. If a Certificate of Occupancy is not granted, ensure that all items are completed/corrected in the time frame required by the Building Inspector and notify the Building Inspector when all items are completed/corrected.
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS OFFERED AS A GENERAL GUIDE TO LAND USE PERMITTING IN BENNINGTON. PLEASE CONTACT THE BENNINGTON PERMITTING DEPARTMENT REGARDING SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND ISSUES REGARDING BENNINGTON LAND USE PERMITS.
ALL APPLICANTS FOR A PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL PROJECTS SHOULD CONTACT THE TOWN’S PLANNING DIRECTOR AND BUILDING INSPECTOR FOR AN INFORMAL REVIEW OF THE PROJECT BEFORE ANY PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED TO THE TOWN.