Application to Development Review Board & Development Plan Checklist
Review and approval by the Development Review Board is required for the following: any development that requires Development Review Board approval (as indicated in the Land Use and Development Regulations), including: most new and expanded commercial development plans, Subdivisions (including; Planned Residential Developments and Planned Unit Developments), Variance requests, Expansions of non-conforming uses and Appeals of an Administrative Officer decision.
Use the Application to Development Review Board for all applications that require Development Review Board approval (must be accompanied by Application for Building and Zoning Permit). A summary of the Development Review Board process is provided below. For more information regarding the process of review and approval by the Development Review Board, please refer to Article 6 of the Land Use and Development Regulations.
The Development Plan Checklist should be used for all applications to the Development Review Board except requests for Subdivision approval (including PRD’s and PUD’s) – a separate Checklist for Subdivisions and additional information regarding the Subdivision review and approval process is provided on the Subdivision/PRD/PUD Page.
Development Review Board Process Summary
(Please refer to Article 6 of the Land Use and Development Regulations for more information regarding the Development Review Board process.)
- Applicant discusses project with Town Staff (Planning Director, Administrative Assistant and/or Building Inspector) See contact information on left sidebar.
- Applicant completes Application for Building and Zoning Permit and Application to Development Review Board and determines permit fees due (see Permit Fee Schedule).
- Applicant has Development Plan and all supporting documentation (including all required Town and State approvals) prepared by engineer, land surveyor, planner, architect or other qualified professional in accordance with the Development Plan Checklist.
- Applicant submits Application for Building and Zoning Permit, Application to Development Review Board, permit fees and twelve (12) copies of the Development Plan and all supporting documentation to Permitting Department.
- Town Staff reviews application and if application is deemed complete, Town Staff schedules public hearing(s) before the Development Review Board, has legal notice of the public hearing(s) published in the Bennington Banner, and notifies the applicant of the public hearing(s). If application is deemed incomplete applicant is notified of additional information that is required.
- Applicant notifies abutting property owners of public hearing(s). (Town staff will provide applicant with a form notice.)
- Applicant (or his representative) attends public hearing(s) to present project application.
- Development Review Board deliberates and issues written decision (approval or denial).
- Town Staff notifies applicant of Development Review Board Decision.
- If application is approved, applicant must then obtain building permit from Town of Bennington and any other necessary State and /or Town approvals and permits before work is commenced on the project.
- Upon completion of project applicant requests Certificate of Occupancy/Completion from Permitting Department.
- If project is completed in accordance with all permits and approvals, Permitting Department issues Certificate of Occupancy/Completion.
APPLICATION TO DEVELOPMENT REVIEW BOARD (pdf)
DEVELOPMENT PLAN CHECKLIST (pdf) In addition to the checklist, please refer to Article 6, Table 6.1 of the Land Use and Development Regulations below for information regarding requirements for an application to the Development Review Board.
THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE IS OFFERED AS A GENERAL GUIDE TO LAND USE PERMITTING IN BENNINGTON. PLEASE CALL THE BENNINGTON PERMITTING DEPARTMENT AT 802-442-1037 REGARDING SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND ISSUES REGARDING BENNINGTON LAND USE PERMITS.
ALL APPLICANTS FOR A PERMIT FOR COMMERCIAL PROJECTS SHOULD CONTACT THE TOWN’S PLANNING DIRECTOR AND BUILDING INSPECTOR FOR AN INFORMAL REVIEW OF THE PROJECT BEFORE ANY PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED TO THE TOWN.